Skip to main content

Starting My Journey - Why I am Expressing Colostrum at 27 Weeks Pregnant

Hi everyone thanks for visiting my blog. I just wanted to document my journey on expressing colostrum before birth otherwise known as antenatal expressing from 27 weeks pregnant. This is a very controversial subject area, so I've found out online recently, but is growing in popularity according to my local midwives. However, when I have come to research this, there is a distinct lack of information in support of expressing colostrum at this stage of my pregnancy or about people's experiences generally, which is part of the reason why I wanted to record my experience here.

What is Colostrum?

Colostrum is a thick sticky liquid that mum's make from about 16-20 weeks of pregnancy which becomes baby's first feed when they are born. It is usually cream, yellowish or even orange in colour - this varies in all women. Colostrum has a high fat content and contains lots of other beneficial vitamins and minerals that baby needs for growth, and of course lots of antibodies to protect baby against viruses and help build their immune system.

Mum's keep producing colostrum until their milk kicks in which is usually after birth. From what I've read, this is triggered when the placenta is removed however a couple of women I know have had milk come in a day or two before birth. Colostrum doesn't run out; it simply changes into milk when your body is ready (usually after baby has arrived).

The reason I'm expressing at this early stage in the pregnancy is that I am getting a fair amount of discomfort in my breasts - like a marble that sits behind my nipple - which I recognise from breastfeeding my first child; it's that 'my boobs are kinda full and I need to express' feeling. For me, it's very unusual to have this feeling at this moment in time because with my first child I experienced absolutely no discomfort in my breasts during pregnancy and my milk didn't kick in until 7 days after giving birth, which made my first two weeks of breastfeeding a complete nightmare! 

So, I want to relieve the discomfort in my breasts through expressing the colostrum and I might as well save it and store it for my unborn baby, just in case there is a delay in milk production again.

Important - Please read

Now, I realise that before I start talking about my experience in any detail, I need to emphasise a few things: 

Firstly, I'm not a medical professional; I am simply a mum second time round and I'm just documenting my experience, that is all. This blog is not intended to be taken as advice or guidance in any way, but if it helps somebody make a more informed decision because they have read a bit more information on my experience then I'm glad to be of help. I would strongly advise people to talk to their medical professional first before expressing colostrum antenatally to ensure it is safe to do so.

Secondly, I need to provide a bit of background information about myself. I am 32 years old, I am a low risk pregnancy due on 23rd March 2021. I started producing colostrum naturally from week 27 of my pregnancy which is when I noticed the discomfort in my breasts, hence why I discovered how much I was producing and thought it was worthwhile saving. I already have a 14 month old boy who was initially breast fed but is now bottle fed cow's milk - this small gap between the pregnancies may have a part to play in influencing my body chemistry second time round. 

Thirdly, I'm not going to quote studies and papers and other scientific media in this blog; I'm simply documenting why I am expressing before birth, how I feel throughout the weeks in the run up to my birth and I'll also talk about the process of how I express colostrum. 

Why Express Colostrum During Pregnancy?

There are a few reasons why women want to express during pregnancy:
- If there is a need for a stash or back-up supply of colostrum
- If baby is likely to have a medical condition which requires colostrum (clef lip/palette, heart condition or another medical condition) 
- If baby is likely to have a low birth weight
- If mum has gestational diabetes
- If mum is likely to have a low milk supply in the first few weeks
- Or in my case, to relieve discomfort

Expressing Colostrum at 27 Weeks Pregnant - The need for relief

So, just to recap, I started expressing colostrum at 27 weeks pregnant because I needed to relieve strong discomfort in both my breasts which is when I discovered I was actually producing colostrum in a fair quantity that I thought it was enough to save. I simply express when I need to. I am not expressing to build supplies - not at this early stage.

I have tried using a warm cloth and standing in the warm shower for relief but it doesn't work for me. Expressing is the only way to get relief.

Polar Opposites

I've spoken to both of my local midwives who actually encouraged me to continue expressing colostrum and freezing it for my unborn baby. I did talk to them about some of the the risks such a premature labour which I found online, to which they said in my case is not an issue as I am low risk and that the baby will come when baby is ready i.e. expressing colostrum manually  is not going to encourage pre-term labour in my case. They also informed me that more women are starting to do this now.

However, when researching online, most sources say not to express anything at all before 36 weeks as it could induce premature labour. 

So, why would I continue to express? Well, doing nothing for 9 weeks is not an option as it could leave me with a mastitis infection to fight off while carrying my baby. I'd probably also need to go to the doctor's surgery for antibiotics which, during an international pandemic, is probably not the best use of doctor's time when I know I could have just expressed myself and sorted out the issue at home.

As this is my second pregnancy, I also feel a lot more in tune with my body and therefore much more confident. I feel I know my limits and I know what signs to look out for which makes me think twice and question a blanket answer of 'no expressing before 36 weeks' when I can't find any evidence that is relatable to my specific situation.

But given that I've been advised that it's ok, to express colostrum before birth, then read that it's not ok, there must be a middle ground which will help me, and I think I've found it... Because no one talks about frequency of expressing, let alone this subject at all really. So, I have decided to proceed with caution. I do go into further detail in my 28 week blog with links.

Frequency of Expressing and What it Means to Me

The pro-antenatal expressing sources that I've read don't really advise on how frequently you should express, however the sources that say that it's ok to express beyond 36 weeks pregnant generally advise that you try 2 to 3 times a day. So in my opinion (which is not medical), there is a gap in the frequency of expressing colostrum pre 36 weeks; you'd be going from nothing to 2-3 times a day which I think is quite an intense leap. There is no documented gradual build up which I where I think I fit with my current situation.

When most people talk about expressing during pregnancy, or antenatal expressing in this case, a lot of people assume you are pumping away on an electric pump or hand pump several times a day to build milk and colostrum supplies. People don't tend to think of expressing as a way of relief for any discomfort you may have, so therefore they don't talk about frequency of expressing and they never ask, which is why I think it's a very important point that their missing out. I have found that many people tend to judge those who express colostrum antenatally without actually finding out all the facts that are specific to their situation first, especially the frequency of expressing but I'll get onto that hot topic in a later blog!

I have read that manually expressing colostrum is more effective than using a pump as a pump is generally designed for milk which is much more viscous. As colostrum is so much thicker due to all the beneficial fats for baby, I personally have found that manual expressing is the way forward for me as I can really work all the breast to physically move the colostrum towards the nipple. A pump can also be wasteful with colostrum as it will stick to the insides of the pump before eventually entering the collecting bottle. Every drop counts! 

My Frequency of Expressing Colostrum at 27 Weeks Pregnant - Week commencing 22nd December 2020

22nd - 24th December - I did not feel the need to express.

25th December (Christmas Day) - This was the start of a strong feeling of discomfort in my breasts, so I manually expressed in the shower until I felt relief which was probably about 5mins in total. I obviously didn't collect any colostrum this week but it got me thinking about how I could potentially save it for my unborn baby. 

I started researching how I could collect and store colostrum. From what I read, you can manually express colostrum into a sterile container, then you can use a sterile syringe with cap to soak up and store the colostrum. You then put the syringe into a clear plastic bag, write the date on it and store it in the freezer where it will keep for up to 6 months. This gives me plenty of time to build a small collection for my baby which is due on 23rd March 2021.

I purchased the following:

- 100x pack of 1ml sterile syringes with caps (I did look at the individually packaged ones however they worked out a lot more expensive! I read that you can sterilise in boiling water for a few minutes before use).
- 100x pack of clear zip seal bags to store the full syringes in.

I already had a small Tupperware at home which could be sterilised for use to express into. A baby bottle base is also fine to use. And lastly, I had a permanent marker pen to record the date on the plastic zip seal bag.

26th - 28th December - I did not feel the need to express.

The next date I expressed and actually collected and stored colostrum falls in week 28 of my pregnancy. 

__________
Read my 28 week blog to find out about my colostrum harvesting diary and the search for supportive information.

Links to My Blogs on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the World Baby Alyssa! My Week 40 Blog on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum

Welcome to my week 40 blog entry on antenatal expressing of colostrum when I gave birth to my baby girl Alyssa. This entry has taken me about 11 weeks to write but I didn't want to do a half-assed job! Alyssa was born at week 40 plus 3 days, weighing a decent 8lbs 12.5oz. The birth was completely uneventful and I only needed gas and air to push her out. Needless to say, my hubby Steve and I are both very proud of her and amazingly overjoyed 😍 Her 17-month-old toddler brother Logan, still has plenty of adjusting to do but that will come with time and plenty of supervised interaction. We've had the standard medical checks on Alyssa and she's passed them all, so we are very happy. Her blood spot results will take about 3 weeks but the physical tests have been completed: Reflexes and reactions, hearing screening, weight and jaundice. **Update** blood spots all passed - no illnesses. While it's been a busy week adjusting to a new routine and having to go out eve

Week 38 and Nearing the End of my Antenatal Colostrum Harvesting Journey

Well, this week was an interesting one... Partly because I'm nearing to the end of my colostrum expressing journey but also my toddler and I were both in a car accident (so the picture above seemed most fitting)! Long story short, the person who drove into us on a dual carriageway also hit another vehicle, then they failed to stop. Physically, we are both ok and so is our unborn baby who has been checked out by the midwife however I do appreciate that things could have been very different...  So, guess what this week's blog topic will be about 😅 Not what anyone needs close to their due date or indeed at all! I am however, still pregnant at the time of writing this (39 weeks), so if expressing colostrum from 27 weeks pregnant and having a fairly high speed car accident at 38 weeks doesn't influence when my labour happens, then I think I'm definitely not at risk of the baby 'falling out' or having pre-term labour as some of the antenatal colostrum har

Harvesting Colostrum at 29 Weeks Pregnant - Going with the flow!

Well, it's week 29 of my pregnancy and I've been harvesting colostrum to relieve breast discomfort for about 2 weeks. I feel the rate of antenatal expressing of colostrum has been more stable this week as I have mostly expressed every other day. This is due to getting over eating so much at Christmas! I also talk about some of the physical changes I've started to experience when hand expressing colostrum - but these are all normal for me as I have experienced them with my first pregnancy when I did not need to express colostrum before birth. After conducting what feels like a tonne of not very satisfactory online research in previous weeks, talking to my local midwives and breastfeeding experts (including other mums!) on forums, I feel a lot more confident in my decision to continue to hand express as and when I need at this stage in my pregnancy. And yes, this week's main image 'believe in yourself' may seem a bit cliché, however that is how I am fe