Skip to main content

Week 38 and Nearing the End of my Antenatal Colostrum Harvesting Journey

Well, this week was an interesting one... Partly because I'm nearing to the end of my colostrum expressing journey but also my toddler and I were both in a car accident (so the picture above seemed most fitting)! Long story short, the person who drove into us on a dual carriageway also hit another vehicle, then they failed to stop. Physically, we are both ok and so is our unborn baby who has been checked out by the midwife however I do appreciate that things could have been very different... 

So, guess what this week's blog topic will be about 😅 Not what anyone needs close to their due date or indeed at all! I am however, still pregnant at the time of writing this (39 weeks), so if expressing colostrum from 27 weeks pregnant and having a fairly high speed car accident at 38 weeks doesn't influence when my labour happens, then I think I'm definitely not at risk of the baby 'falling out' or having pre-term labour as some of the antenatal colostrum harvesting doubters will tell you.


My Colostrum Harvesting Diary at Week 38 of Pregnancy - Week commencing 9th March 2021

My last day of expressing was 8th March 2021 and have found the time this week to express twice a day. I was also frequently experiencing that urge to express both in the morning and evening, so that's a positive sign that my body was ready for this next step. I must say that trying to find the time to express in-between having a toddler clinging onto you is not easy! I could have expressed when he napped however his nap schedule is currently over lunchtime so I have other things to do then. I have generally taken to expressing after my toddler is dressed, fed, washed and had 2x nappy changes in the morning as I know he's then ready for the day and likes to play by himself for a bit which gives me about 10mins of free time... so I just have to make do some mornings. The evenings are much easier as I can just express after he's gone to bed, so I tend to spend about 15mins per side to make sure I do a very thorough job.

At this stage, I'm still hand expressing as I find that this is still the most effective way for me to express colostrum. I tend to have quite a few jets of watery colostrum come shooting out as I first start to express, however this then changes into a milky creamy colour which is the rich and fatty colostrum. I have occasionally experienced some hardness in the breast where I have needed to work the tissue much deeper and harder to express the colostrum. If I don't, then that hardness (which could be a blocked duct) could turn into mastitis, so it's really important for me to keep up the frequency of expressing as well as how thoroughly I express.

I often change hands during each express and change the positioning of that hand so that I work all the way around the breast because that's how the milk ducts are positioned. This way I can ensure that all the breast tissue is worked and not just a small area. I use the 'c-shape' hand motion which is commonly used for expressing both milk and colostrum.

Overall, I've been very impressed by the amount I have expressed this week and looking back to week 27, I had no idea I'd do this well... I've also had to invade another freezer draw 😂

9th March - 11ml total (the day of the car accident!)
- am 4.9ml
- pm 6.1ml

10th March - 15.4ml total
- am 7.7ml
- pm 7.7ml

11th March - 20.5ml total
- am 10.5ml
- pm 10ml

12th March - 20ml total
- am 10ml
- pm 10ml

13th March - 17.1ml total
- am 8.6ml
- pm 8.5ml

14th March - 17.1ml total
- am 8.5ml
- pm 8.6ml

15th March - 12.7ml total
- am 7.6ml
- pm 5.1ml

Total expressed for the week: 113.8ml
Average daily amount: 16.26ml
Total expressed to date: 540.45ml

My pattern of antenatal expressing of colostrum over time since week 28:


The minimum daily amount expressed for this week was 11ml. As we can see in the above graph, the total amount expressed daily has increased quite significantly where most of the datum reference points exist above the horizontal red line. This sudden increase is ok however as baby is past term, so there is no issue with preterm labour for me. However you can clearly see why focussing on increasing colostrum supply should not be a focus until at least week 36 of pregnancy.


The total weekly amount expressed as increased significantly by 45.5%. Echoing the sentiments of the first graph, my supply dramatically increases with expressing 2-3 times a day.



(Damage from the accident where another car drove into my drivers wing at about 50-60mph)

Car Accident at Week 38 of Pregnancy

So, the photo above was actually my car! I was on my way to see one of my mum friends who's also expecting a little girl and who has a little boy the same age as my toddler Logan. The plan was to do a socially distanced walk round a local park on a nice sunny day, however that all changed.

I was driving along a dual carriageway with Logan in the car when a 4x4 cut me up making a late exit up a slip road. Not thinking anything of it, I carried on and a few seconds later a Mercedes drove into the side of my car at about 50-60mph. They forced my car onto the grass in-between the slip road and dual carriageway. Then, as I was breaking, they swung round in front of my car like a 'T', veered off and hit another car on the slip road before driving off up the slip road never to be seen again! 

So, yes what should have literally been a walk in the park, was anything but... Being in a dangerous position in between the slip road and a dual carriageway, I called the police to see if they could come and offer some support while I move my car, however as no one was seriously injured I was just told to call the local police through 101 and move my car onto a safe area on the slip road. 

I proceeded to move the car onto the slip road, and despite having my hazards on, no one slowed down. I was even tooted a few times! Do people really not have eyeballs?? Do they really not see a hazard up ahead? If a motorist sees a hazard they're meant to slow down, not beep their horn and plough through... This is why I wanted police support to move the car as I didn't fancy getting smashed into again... Anyway, after finally moving the car to safe position behind the other driver who was hit. I exited the car, got my toddler out and sat on the bank the other side of the slip road crash barrier, as you're meant to do waiting for my husband and the police.

My husband, who was not expecting that kind of phone call from me so late in the pregnancy, immediately came to find me. Luckily, I didn't live too far away and he was working from home, so it didn't take him long to arrive. And like busses, he and the police arrived at the same time.

I gave a statement along with the other driver who had been hit to the police, who needed to be involved anyway as it was a hit and run which is a criminal offence.

Very fortunately, I had a dashcam in the car, so while I was busy answering police questions while wrestling my toddler on the bank of a slip road next to a busy dual carriageway, my husband showed the officers in attendance the dashcam footage. Luckily my dashcam caught both collisions, so the  footage was able to help the other driver who had been hit by the same person. We also got the number plate of the Mercedes who drove into us and the 4x4 who they were travelling with, as well as a clear picture of the driver's face.

Once everyone had all the info they needed, I drove my husband's car home with Logan in and my husband had to drive my car. My car ended up being written off by the insurance company.

While the accident was high speed, it happened gradually and due to the positioning of the vehicles and the fact I was constantly breaking, the air bags didn't go off and my baby bump was not impacted at all. Logan and I didn't sustain any cuts or bruises and we weren't thrown around the car like you see in some accidents. Our unborn baby was moving fine and I was checked out by a midwife later that day. I kept a very close eye on Logan and he didn't seem too bothered... He was up to his usual tricks when we got home and his behaviour and appetite appeared normal although he was quite clingy that afternoon as I was naturally very stressed!

A week later and everything was well however the form filling (police, insurance company, solicitors) took quite a long time... And there goes a few extra days which I could have used to chill before the arrival of my second baby but that's just life; it'll throw curve balls and you just have to deal with it.

Should you be driving at this stage in your pregnancy?

This is question I did get asked by a few people but to be perfectly honest, you could be involved in a road accident at anytime! Yes, there is the life of another little human at stake but having said that, you could even be involved in an accident coming home from the hospital with your newborn in the car. 

Whether you can or should be driving later on in your pregnancy entirely depends on your circumstances. Some people may not have a partner, relative or friend to drive them, so they have to do everything themselves... and hats-off to the people who do this as they must be so exhausted at this point. Some people don't have a car, so they don't have this option, but they could still be involved in a collision on public transport.

Personally, I don't like my 'wings being clipped'. I like to be able to do things without reliance on others as I feel it's good for my mental health and it gives me a sense of freedom still, while my physical size does limit me to some extent in other activities. 

This second train of thought might be a bit controversial, however I feel that I also don't want to be one of those mums who are extremely safety conscious all the time, to the extent where they just don't do things because they are scared of what could happen. I don't want to be that kind of role model for my kids and transfer that same level of fear onto them. I believe in taking some calculated risks. You have to live life a bit, and yes bad things will happen but you have to have a steady mind that can deal with difficult situations and move on.

So, will I still be driving after having this accident? Of course I will. I have already driven my toddler to the local super market in my husband's car. 

What have I leant from this car accident?

Get a good quality dashcam - One thing I would highly recommend is getting a good quality dashcam with front and rear cameras. It was the rear camera that gave us clearer images of the number plates of the cars involved and a very clear picture of the driver's face. It's worth the investment!... Just remember to switch it on every time you get in the car, that way it can do its job and support you by giving you the information you need to get justice for what's been done to your family.

Keep the receipt for the car seat where you can remember to find it - As a result of the accident, Logan's car seat was written off automatically by the insurance company. This is a standard procedure a bit like when a motorcyclist has an accident and the helmet is written-off. My insurance company asked for a copy of the purchase receipt for the car seat however I have put in that 'safe place' where I simply cannot remember where it is. I've searched high and low and I'm sure it'll turn up however it won't be in time for the insurance company payout. Fortunately, I did take out legal cover where the solicitors will accept a receipt for a like for like replacement car seat, so while I won't get the full amount back, I can claim most of it through the purchase of a new replacement car seat.

Make sure you have a low policy excess - If you need to make an insurance claim, you will need to pay your policy excess before you receive any monies from the insurance company. Kids are expensive and last thing you need is to be paying out a large policy excess unexpectedly on top of having to deal with stress and fall-out from the rest of the situation. Luckily, I only had a £25 excess which merely amounted to a small admin fee, so I received most of the money for the insurance claim.

Did this car accident impact on my colostrum supply?
Honestly, that's a difficult one to answer. I don't personally think it did however I have been expressing twice a day this week so I will naturally produce more colostrum of more is taken away... 

My Disclaimers

Firstly, I'm not a medical professional; I am simply a mum second time round and I'm just documenting my experience, that is all. This blog is not intended to be taken as advice or guidance in any way, but if it helps somebody make a more informed decision because they have read a bit more information on my experience then I'm glad to be of help. I would strongly advise people to talk to their medical professional first before expressing colostrum antenatally to ensure it is safe to do so.

Secondly, I need to provide a bit of background information about myself. I am 32 years old, I am a low risk pregnancy due on 23rd March 2021. I started producing colostrum naturally from week 27 of my pregnancy which is when I noticed the discomfort in my breasts, hence why I discovered how much I was producing and thought it was worthwhile saving. I already have a 15 month old boy who was initially breast fed but is now bottle fed cow's milk - this small gap between the pregnancies may have a part to play in influencing my body chemistry second time round. 

Thirdly, this is a personal blog, not a scientific one. I'm simply documenting my thoughts, feelings, actions and anything useful that I can find, mostly for my own benefit.

__________

Read my week 39 blog to find out about the next installment of my colostrum harvesting diary.

Links to My Blogs on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the World Baby Alyssa! My Week 40 Blog on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum

Welcome to my week 40 blog entry on antenatal expressing of colostrum when I gave birth to my baby girl Alyssa. This entry has taken me about 11 weeks to write but I didn't want to do a half-assed job! Alyssa was born at week 40 plus 3 days, weighing a decent 8lbs 12.5oz. The birth was completely uneventful and I only needed gas and air to push her out. Needless to say, my hubby Steve and I are both very proud of her and amazingly overjoyed 😍 Her 17-month-old toddler brother Logan, still has plenty of adjusting to do but that will come with time and plenty of supervised interaction. We've had the standard medical checks on Alyssa and she's passed them all, so we are very happy. Her blood spot results will take about 3 weeks but the physical tests have been completed: Reflexes and reactions, hearing screening, weight and jaundice. **Update** blood spots all passed - no illnesses. While it's been a busy week adjusting to a new routine and having to go out eve

Harvesting Colostrum at 29 Weeks Pregnant - Going with the flow!

Well, it's week 29 of my pregnancy and I've been harvesting colostrum to relieve breast discomfort for about 2 weeks. I feel the rate of antenatal expressing of colostrum has been more stable this week as I have mostly expressed every other day. This is due to getting over eating so much at Christmas! I also talk about some of the physical changes I've started to experience when hand expressing colostrum - but these are all normal for me as I have experienced them with my first pregnancy when I did not need to express colostrum before birth. After conducting what feels like a tonne of not very satisfactory online research in previous weeks, talking to my local midwives and breastfeeding experts (including other mums!) on forums, I feel a lot more confident in my decision to continue to hand express as and when I need at this stage in my pregnancy. And yes, this week's main image 'believe in yourself' may seem a bit cliché, however that is how I am fe