Skip to main content

Let's Talk Colostrum Syringes for Storing Your Liquid Gold & My Colostrum Harvesting Diary at 35 Weeks Pregnant

It's now week 35 of my pregnancy and colostrum harvesting has been going really well since week 28. I have been storing and saving my colostrum and I have a freezer drawer that is absolutely packed full of 1ml syringes! I'm very pleased with this amount and did not expect to have so much colostrum expressed at this stage.

It has been a busy couple of weeks so this blog entry, much like my last blog, is just a recap of my colostrum harvesting diary. I've been doing a lot at work handing things over to a lady covering my maternity leave, which starts in a couple of weeks, and balancing that with looking after a little toddler. 

Again, I've been feeling quite tired this week and I'm starting to feel massive 🤣 All my pregnancy symptoms have been normal. There's been no cramping or any signs of preterm labour whatsoever, so I've been very fortunate! But yes, I have expressed every single day in the evenings which has helped build a good supply for my little one.

I am looking forward to starting maternity leave soon and next week is my last week at work. I will miss the people that are there and but it'll be nice to have a little bit of time to rest some more. Next week I'll be 36 weeks pregnant so my baby will have reached term. Ideally, I would be looking to increase my rate of expressing to twice a day however I might leave that that till week 37 when my maternity leave kicks in as it's more convenient... Can't really be expressing in a Team's meeting or on a Zoom call now!

My Colostrum Harvesting Diary at Week 35 of Pregnancy - Week commencing 16th February 2021

My last day of expressing was 15th February 2021. For all of the below expresses, I have spent about 10mins per breast and switched sides when one is looking empty. This has really helped me get an extra few ml.

16th February - 12.4ml

17th February - 11.75ml

18th February - 8.5ml

19th February - 7ml

20th February - 7ml

21st February - 10.7ml

22nd February - 8.4ml

Total expressed for the week: 65.75ml
Total expressed to date: 280.95ml

My pattern of antenatal expressing of colostrum over time since week 28:


In the above graph, you can clearly see that the range of colostrum expressed daily in the latter weeks increases. Additionally, the minimum value is 7ml.


Interestingly, I have produced 31% more colostrum this week than last week. Again, this could be influenced by diet, however next week I will be 36 weeks pregnant, so there could also be a change in my hormones which allows me to produce more.



Why I'm using 1ml syringes for colostrum storage
Generally colostrum is stored in 1ml syringes with a cap, however you can use larger syringes if you choose, for example you could use 5ml or 10ml syringes. I however, will continue to use 1ml syringes to store colostrum because a newborn baby feeds little and often, so I don't want to defrost too much colostrum at a time. When babies are born their tummy is often the size of a marble and they may need feeding every 3 to 4 hours. It's also quicker to defrost a 1ml syringe than a 5ml or 10ml one.

Also I want to try and feed from the breast as much as possible, so don't want to give too much colostrum in one go as this could impede on the amount of time baby spends the breast, which in turn impacts on milk demand and supply. Feeding baby from the breast is the best way to increase milk production, so I will do this as much as possible, only topping up baby's feeds if I need to. Of course I want to use all the colostrum I've produced, so it won't be wasted but at this stage I'll just see how I get on when our baby is born.

There's also a good financial incentive to stay using 1ml syringes as they're much cheaper to buy than 5ml and 10ml ones! Most 1ml syringes are mass produced in China and sold by importers which is great if you're looking to be frugal. Another tip is to buy in bulk - I order 100x syringes at a time which usually last about 3-4 weeks.

What syringes can you use to store colostrum?

I use these syringes (above) which I buy from Amazon at £11.99 for 100x (price correct as of Feb 2021): 

They aren't sterile so I steralise the syringes inside and out, as well as the caps, in boiling water before use.

You can also buy the individually packed sterile syringes (as above) however they are more expensive at £10.97 for 25x syringes:

You can also get syringes like the above from your midwife for free. My midwife gave me one syringe when I told her I'm still expressing... I then told her how many I get through in a week 🤣 she said I could keep it.


You can also use oral syringes which have a slightly wider tip. This helps if you are going to suck each droplet of colostrum off the nipple. They're also available on Amazon for £5.27 for 10x syringes: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Fluid-Medicine-Syringes-Bottles/dp/B075MDMP3Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Medicina+Oral+1mm&qid=1615550846&sr=8-1 

Do you have to use a syringe with a cap?
No. While it's recommended that you do to minimise contact with other stuff in your freezer, you don't have to use a syringe with a cap. As long as the syringe is sterlie and placed in a plastic bag, that is fine. You will also need to make sure you draw the colostrum further up the syringe so there is a pocket of air between the colostrum and end of the syringe. This also helps minimise contact with other 'stuff'.

Can you use the same syringe for more than one express?
Yes you can, as long as the syringe is kept refrigerated and is frozen within 12 hours. Deforested colostrum only keeps in the fridge for 24 hours, so you need to factor in the amount of storage time between expresses, plus the time you may store the syringe for when defrosting for baby.

I always freeze as soon as I can so baby has the freshest colostrum.

How long can you store colostrum for?
Frozen colostrum can be stored for 6 months and refrigerated colostrum lasts for 24 hours.

Can you store colostrum in breast milk storage bags?
Yes you can, however you need to think about how much you store in each bag vs. how much baby will consume. Using breast milk storage bags instead of syringes could also be a more cost effective option, as you can add multiple expresses in one bag.

How you can dispose of colostrum syringes
Googling this subject doesn't provide very useful results for recycling plastic colostrum syringes which obviously don't have any needles. Most results simply class all syringes as 'sharps', however further searching into forum results reveal that some medical professionals recycle plastic syringes without needles by placing them in the relevant recycling bin. So, with this in mind, I think I'll place mine in the general recycling bin as I simply have loads!!!

My Disclaimers

Firstly, I'm not a medical professional; I am simply a mum second time round and I'm just documenting my experience, that is all. This blog is not intended to be taken as advice or guidance in any way, but if it helps somebody make a more informed decision because they have read a bit more information on my experience then I'm glad to be of help. I would strongly advise people to talk to their medical professional first before expressing colostrum antenatally to ensure it is safe to do so.

Secondly, I need to provide a bit of background information about myself. I am 32 years old, I am a low risk pregnancy due on 23rd March 2021. I started producing colostrum naturally from week 27 of my pregnancy which is when I noticed the discomfort in my breasts, hence why I discovered how much I was producing and thought it was worthwhile saving. I already have a 15 month old boy who was initially breast fed but is now bottle fed cow's milk - this small gap between the pregnancies may have a part to play in influencing my body chemistry second time round. 

Thirdly, this is a personal blog, not a scientific one. I'm simply documenting my thoughts, feelings, actions and anything useful that I can find, mostly for my own benefit.

__________

Read my week 36 blog to find out about the next installment of my colostrum harvesting diary.

Links to My Blogs on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the World Baby Alyssa! My Week 40 Blog on Antenatal Expressing of Colostrum

Welcome to my week 40 blog entry on antenatal expressing of colostrum when I gave birth to my baby girl Alyssa. This entry has taken me about 11 weeks to write but I didn't want to do a half-assed job! Alyssa was born at week 40 plus 3 days, weighing a decent 8lbs 12.5oz. The birth was completely uneventful and I only needed gas and air to push her out. Needless to say, my hubby Steve and I are both very proud of her and amazingly overjoyed 😍 Her 17-month-old toddler brother Logan, still has plenty of adjusting to do but that will come with time and plenty of supervised interaction. We've had the standard medical checks on Alyssa and she's passed them all, so we are very happy. Her blood spot results will take about 3 weeks but the physical tests have been completed: Reflexes and reactions, hearing screening, weight and jaundice. **Update** blood spots all passed - no illnesses. While it's been a busy week adjusting to a new routine and having to go out eve

Week 38 and Nearing the End of my Antenatal Colostrum Harvesting Journey

Well, this week was an interesting one... Partly because I'm nearing to the end of my colostrum expressing journey but also my toddler and I were both in a car accident (so the picture above seemed most fitting)! Long story short, the person who drove into us on a dual carriageway also hit another vehicle, then they failed to stop. Physically, we are both ok and so is our unborn baby who has been checked out by the midwife however I do appreciate that things could have been very different...  So, guess what this week's blog topic will be about 😅 Not what anyone needs close to their due date or indeed at all! I am however, still pregnant at the time of writing this (39 weeks), so if expressing colostrum from 27 weeks pregnant and having a fairly high speed car accident at 38 weeks doesn't influence when my labour happens, then I think I'm definitely not at risk of the baby 'falling out' or having pre-term labour as some of the antenatal colostrum har

Harvesting Colostrum at 29 Weeks Pregnant - Going with the flow!

Well, it's week 29 of my pregnancy and I've been harvesting colostrum to relieve breast discomfort for about 2 weeks. I feel the rate of antenatal expressing of colostrum has been more stable this week as I have mostly expressed every other day. This is due to getting over eating so much at Christmas! I also talk about some of the physical changes I've started to experience when hand expressing colostrum - but these are all normal for me as I have experienced them with my first pregnancy when I did not need to express colostrum before birth. After conducting what feels like a tonne of not very satisfactory online research in previous weeks, talking to my local midwives and breastfeeding experts (including other mums!) on forums, I feel a lot more confident in my decision to continue to hand express as and when I need at this stage in my pregnancy. And yes, this week's main image 'believe in yourself' may seem a bit cliché, however that is how I am fe